Natural stones are a great choice to add a touch of elegance to your home’s entrance hallway, kitchen counters, bathroom vanity, or fireplace mantels.
But many people are scared of these porous stones because they are prone to etching caused due to acidic foods and cleaners. The good news is that proper natural stone cleaning and care can reduce issues that occur from everyday wear and tear.
As natural stones contain calcium carbonate, they are sensitive to acid. Limestone, travertine, onyx, marble, and serpentine are the different types of natural stones. To ensure that your natural stones remain shiny for a long time, here are some tips for natural stone cleaning regularly.
Tips For Natural Stone Cleaning Quick-And-Easy Steps:
- Never use harsh cleaners on your natural stones. Using these cleaners or even the rough side of the sponge may strip away the sealant and damage the stone over time.
- Never use acidic cleaners or household items like vinegar on natural stones as they damage their surface. You can use cleaners with a neutral pH of 7 or below.
- Start cleaning with a damp cloth or sponge and a dab of pH-neutral cleaner or soap.
- To remove deeper stains, you can make a paste of baking soda and water, leave it on the mark for 24 hrs, then rinse it with plain water. You can clean Sandstone, travertine, and marble floors with a baking soda solution.
- Use a soft bristle brush to clean the surface crusted with food and soap scum to avoid scratching the surface.
- Make sure you always dry the surfaces using a soft towel or blow dryer immediately after cleaning. It is essential to avoid spotting.
- Dust out the door mats and rugs regularly. It will filter the unwanted particles outside. And also reduce the risk of floor scratching because of the cutting particles.
- Shake out the door mats and rugs regularly to avoid any outside dirt that may damage the stone surface.
- Use a mop to wipe away abrasive particles, and be sure not to drag items like vacuum attachments across the floor.
- Reseal your stone floors at least once a year to prevent any liquid from seeping into the cracks and discoloring the surface.
Natural stones like travertine, granite, or sandstone are excellent choices for your home decor as they are durable and don’t lose their luster. However, you need to care for them properly. So they don’t lose their finish.
Here, we have provided some tips for natural stone cleaning regularly that you can use as guidelines to care for your natural stones and ensure they maintain their polished look for many years.
There are many reasons to hire a professional natural stone cleaning service at least once or twice a year to give the natural stones the extra care they need and to increase their longevity.